I dare not call this an Italian dish because I don’t really know if they have “spaghetti and meatballs” in any authentic Italian kitchen or not (I guess it’s more of an American “invention”). Nevertheless, this is my own take on this “classic” dish and I promise this is a recipe that even Italians would love 😀 What’s brilliant about this dish is that the meat is so soft and succulent, the sauce well balanced and… it’s easy to make! You can do it in a big batch and just reheat when you need, so it saves a lot of cooking time as well. Now let’s get to the point.
*Ingredients: serves 4 people
- 200 g minced pork
- 200 g minced beef
- 50 g bread crumbs
- enough milk to soak the bread crumbs
- 50 g parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 small shallot diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- olive oil
- 300-400 g fettucine
- fresh basil to garnish
– Tomato sauce:
- 400 g canned chopped tomatoes
- 100 ml of beef stock
- 1 diced shallot
- 1 chopped garlic
- 1 tsp basil, oregano, thyme
1. Warm the milk and soak the bread crumbs for 10-15 minutes.
2. Mix the meat well together with the spices, cheese and 1/2 of the diced shallots in a large bowl.
3. Add the soaked breadcrumbs and mixed thoroughly again.
4. Cover the bowl with clingfilm and let rest in the fridge for 30-45 minutes.
5. Uncover the clingfilm and start forming the meatballs (the size is your choice)
6. Heat a non-stick pan with olive oil and start browning the meat.
7. In another pot, heat olive oil and stir-fry the garlic and shallots until fragrant.
8. Add the canned tomatoes and herbs.
9. Add the stock and turn heat on low , only simmering.
10. Add the meatballs to the sauce and cook until the sauce is reduced to the right thickness!
11. Served with fresh fettucine. DONE!
Enjoy your meal!