Just simple as that, a bowl of rice and a dish of this spicy stir-fried squid and I’m good for the night! If you’re living in the seaside then this dish would be perfect as fresh squid just caught from the sea will taste so much better than the frozen ones and it’s still one level above the “fresh” squid that you can buy at the market. You travel along the coast of Vietnam, you stop at the beach and get a sun bath and after that, you should find those small Vietnamese ladies who sell these beautiful little creatures and take them home and … cook them 😀 I used to hate seafood but well, when I prepare it myself and they are fresh, I can eat the whole thing alone! This dish is simple, it’s truly Vietnamese and it’s healthy too! But wait…the best part is that it takes about 10 minutes to cook 😀 perfect for my impatience. Here’s how you do it.
– 500 gr fresh squid, cleaned and sliced into medium-large pieces (keep the tentacles as a whole if the squids are small)
– 2 fresh tomatoes, slice into big wedges.
– 1 tbsp of minced ginger.
– 1 onion, sliced thinly.
– 1 red chili (huge, long chili which are not so spicy)
– a lot of spring onions (as much as you want) chopped into large pieces.
– 1-2 tbsp of sriracha chili sauce/ chinsu chili sauce.
– 2 tbsp canned tomatoes.
– 1 tsp sugar.
– 1 tbsp fish sauce.
– salt and pepper to taste.
1. Prepare all the raw ingredients so that they are ready for some quick action!
2. Put the pan on the stove and set fire on high. Only add the oil when the pan is extremely hot, do not put the oil in before otherwise it will burn easily.
3. As soon as the oil is in, throw in the onion and the ginger and chili.
4. After 30 sec – 1 min, add the squid and stir them constantly.
5. Add the fresh tomatoes and canned tomatoes along with the chili sauce.
6. Continue to stir fry the squid, season with salt, pepper, sugar and fish sauce.
7. After 5-6 minutes, turn off the stove and add the spring onions.
8. Give it a good stir and serve. DONE!
I know you’re gonna love it 😉