We ran out of rice yesterday so for lunch we had some spaghetti bolognese and for dinner we had this beautiful dish: Steak and garlic sautéed potatoes with pan gravy , which tasted amazing. The meat could have been a little tender but overall, the elements of the dish worked well together so it was fine in the end. The trick is that if you don’t have the best cut of meat, have it medium or medium-rare, it will be much more tender and juicy. Last note: you can always change the sauce into something like Bearnaise, demi-glace or mushroom sauce instead of a pan gravy.
*Ingredients: serves 1
– 180-200 gr of Sirloin/Tenderloin (thăn bò)
– 100 gr of new potatoes (the round and small ones with a very thin layer of skin) (khoai tây mới)
– 5 cloves of garlic (tỏi)
– Dry herbs: rosmary, parsley, sage, thyme, basil,… 2 tsp (gia vị lá khô)
– Steak pepper mix (hỗn hợp tiêu cho bít tết)
– 20 gr of butter (bơ)
– 1 tbsp of oil (dầu ăn)
– Sea salt (muối biển)
– 1 tbsp balsamic reduction (dấm balsamic cô đặc)
1. Season the beef with 1 tsp of the dry herbs, a splash of oil, sea salt, steak pepper mix and 2 cloves of garlic. Rest for 10 minutes.
2. Boil the potatoes for about 8-10 minutes until quite soft. Drain water and slice into 2 halves.
3. Put oil in the pan and fry on the potatoes with the skin side up. Season with salt and pepper. Add the rest of dry herbs.
4. Finish the sauteed potatoes with garlic and butter.
5. Transfer the potatoes to another plate. In the same pan, add the meat. Sear each side for 4 minutes until medium-rare.
6. De-glaze the pan with beef stock and some gravy powder if you want.
7. Plate the dish and serve!!! (dress a little balsamic reduction on the side)